What is involved in Project Management Office PMO
Find out what the related areas are that Project Management Office PMO connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Project Management Office PMO thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Project Management Office PMO journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Project Management Office PMO leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Project Management Office PMO related domains to cover and 142 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Project Management Office PMO, Project management office, Company, Document management system, Documentation, Estimation, Executive sponsor, PRINCE2, Performance metric, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Program management, Project Management Institute, Project Portfolio Management, Project management, Project management software, Project stakeholders, Project triangle, Schedule, Strategic project management:
Project Management Office PMO Critical Criteria:
Value Project Management Office PMO planning and innovate what needs to be done with Project Management Office PMO.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Project Management Office PMO into the services that we provide?
– Who sets the Project Management Office PMO standards?
Project management office Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Project management office planning and raise human resource and employment practices for Project management office.
– What are the key considerations and decisions that must be made to ensure your project management office is appropriate for your organization?
– Just what is a project management office, and how can it help you address the unique project management challenges in your organization?
– How do we manage Project Management Office PMO Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Does your organization have a Project Management Office (PMO)?
– Does your organization have a Project Management Office?
– How do we keep improving Project Management Office PMO?
– Is the scope of Project Management Office PMO defined?
Company Critical Criteria:
Track Company engagements and optimize Company leadership as a key to advancement.
– An organizationally feasible system request is one that considers the mission, goals and objectives of the organization. key questions are: is the solution request practical and will it solve a problem or take advantage of an opportunity to achieve company goals?
– How would you as an individual feel if you had made what you felt was a valid complaint, and the organization/company dismissed it as being of no concern and not worth sorting out?
– Choosing good key performance indicators (KPI Key Performance Indicators) did we start from the question How do you measure a companys success?
– In the past year, what have you done (or could you have done) to increase the accurate perception of this company/brand as ethical and honest?
– How do company leaders guide the organization toward a common purpose of quality based on shared values and priorities?
– Is your company licensed to move your third-party software used in the candidate application into the cloud?
– Does your company have emergency communications links with other interconnected companies?
– Does your organization have a company-wide policy regarding best practices for cyber?
– Are your people doing practical actions that drive your company – step by step – to success?
– Has the company experienced an increase in the number of Cybersecurity breaches?
– What process must the company go through to obtain and implement a new system?
– What kind of e-recruitment program your company has implemented?
– Does your company have in place an emergency preparedness plan?
– What performance requirements do you want from the company?
– Does the company use the NIST Cybersecurity framework?
– Does your company have the niif reference document?
– How much should a company invest in security?
– Does your company have any formal policy concerning MD?
– How does your company report on its IT risk?
– What are the companys top risks?
Document management system Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Document management system risks and devise Document management system key steps.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Project Management Office PMO processes?
– How will you know that the Project Management Office PMO project has been successful?
– How do we go about Comparing Project Management Office PMO approaches/solutions?
Documentation Critical Criteria:
Study Documentation outcomes and create a map for yourself.
– If a breach occurs or the regulator investigates the organization; you need to have documents to explain the complete data flows. Are you ready to answer those questions as the level of fines will take into account the processes; technology; and documentation that describes the systems and flow of data. Are you ready for that?
– Have we thought of cost, functionality,vendor support, vendor viability, quality of documentation, ease of learning, ease of use, ease of installation, response time, throughput, version?
– If SLAs are already negotiated and reference the Catalogue for documentation of the service levels, how do you change service level in the Catalogue without renegotiating the SLA?
– Is There an individual or team responsible to routinely ensure the alternate processing facility has the necessary hardware, supplies, and documentation to resume processing?
– For any workstation or server entered, have you received a completed hopkins hosted application checklist (see appendix) or equivalent certification or documentation?
– Do you have enough focus on ITRM documentation to help formalize processes to increase communications and integration with ORM?
– Have all mechanisms that can lead to temporary or permanent changes to facility documentation been identified?
– Does it include detailed documentation of the methodology so that any aspect of the program can be repeated?
– Documentation Logs What records should be kept from before, during, and after an incident?
– What documentation is provided with the software / system and in what format?
– How does improper or incomplete documentation affect disciplinary actions?
– How will the software and documentation libraries be created and managed?
– How does improper/incomplete documentation affect disciplinary actions?
– What are the usability implications of Project Management Office PMO actions?
– Is there documentation on the vulnerability scans performed?
– Does the documentation include records of mgmt decisions?
– Documentation supporting any options selected?
– What s the status of the documentation?
Estimation Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Estimation results and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Estimation decisions.
– How do risk analysis and Risk Management inform your organizations decisionmaking processes for long-range system planning, major project description and cost estimation, priority programming, and project development?
– What are our needs in relation to Project Management Office PMO skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Does Project Management Office PMO analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Is there any existing Project Management Office PMO governance structure?
– For estimation problems, how do you develop an estimation statement?
– Should managers do the estimation of Product Backlog Items?
Executive sponsor Critical Criteria:
Frame Executive sponsor planning and explore and align the progress in Executive sponsor.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Project Management Office PMO is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Project Management Office PMO moving forward?
PRINCE2 Critical Criteria:
Discourse PRINCE2 results and pay attention to the small things.
– A lot of these decisions are based around selecting the correct level of governance and ceremony. At project initiation there should be questions such as Do we run this as a full-on PRINCE2 project or do we use some of DSDM for this?
– Which customers cant participate in our Project Management Office PMO domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Project Management Office PMO leader?
– In a project to restructure Project Management Office PMO outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Do we run this as a full-on PRINCE2 project or do we use some of DSDM for this?
– Agile Project Management and PRINCE2 9 – one or the other, or both?
– Agile Project Management and PRINCE2 – one or the other, or both?
Performance metric Critical Criteria:
Recall Performance metric outcomes and gather practices for scaling Performance metric.
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Have you defined IT risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported?
– What are internal and external Project Management Office PMO relations?
– How can we improve Project Management Office PMO?
PricewaterhouseCoopers Critical Criteria:
Graph PricewaterhouseCoopers strategies and prioritize challenges of PricewaterhouseCoopers.
– What are the Key enablers to make this Project Management Office PMO move?
– How would one define Project Management Office PMO leadership?
Program management Critical Criteria:
Gauge Program management tactics and catalog what business benefits will Program management goals deliver if achieved.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Project Management Office PMO in a volatile global economy?
– Is the record keeping and reporting system contributing to the effective running of the program or is it creating an unnecessary workload for the workers?
– In a project environment youre always dependent on someone else. what can you do when one of these people goes ballistic?
– What level or types of outcomes correspond to the programs objectives and are most useful as a focus of the evaluation?
– What are the criteria for monitoring and assessing the ongoing effectiveness of the program?
– Are any other groups or individuals suitably placed to sustain the program or parts of it?
– Mission-critical projects falling by the wayside due to lack of resources and focus?
– Does increasing our companys footprint add to the challenge of business continuity?
– How much time and other resources will be required to market the program?
– What skills and/or experience are required to conduct the evaluation?
– Which option best enhances the programs credibility and legitimacy?
– Does implementation of project management require a culture change?
– What kind of organizational support will help sustain the program?
– What are the indicators of success for completion of key tasks?
– What kind of conclusions are likely to follow from the results?
– What will motivate others to sustain the program?
– Is the communication strategy being implemented?
– Would we know if we were the victim of a breach?
Project Management Institute Critical Criteria:
Read up on Project Management Institute visions and triple focus on important concepts of Project Management Institute relationship management.
– Is the Project Management Office PMO organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Are assumptions made in Project Management Office PMO stated explicitly?
Project Portfolio Management Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Project Portfolio Management projects and describe the risks of Project Portfolio Management sustainability.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Project Management Office PMO delivery for example is new software needed?
– How do we measure improved Project Management Office PMO service perception, and satisfaction?
– What is project portfolio management?
Project management Critical Criteria:
Rank Project management projects and find the essential reading for Project management researchers.
– There is lots of discussion about the role of a project manager; whether a project manager is needed in the agile world or not. How much and which way a traditional project manager has to change his/her management style or way of working in order to be an agile project manager?
– Agile project management with Scrum derives from best business practices in companies like Fuji-Xerox, Honda, Canon, and Toyota. Toyota routinely achieves four times the productivity and 12 times the quality of competitors. Can Scrum do the same for globally distributed teams?
– Does it replace or negate traditional project management concerns with risk, scheduling, metrics, and execution, or does it shift how we think about these and necessitate new techniques and approaches?
– With agile processes promoting the concept of self-directed teams, is there room for the conventional project manager or does this role also need to evolve to suit the principles of the new paradigm?
– Are there project management practices that remain constant across traditional, hybrid, and agile approaches (e.g., Risk Management, stakeholder management, team building)?
– Are there implications for the observed success of agile to date that reflects on our larger understanding of organizations and their fundamental nature?
– Does the software Quality Assurance function have a management reporting channel separate from the software development project management?
– Are your current project management and time and expense capture applications outdated and expensive to update and maintain?
– How can an agile project manager balance team level autonomy and individual level autonomy in agile software teams?
– What is important in the kick-off meeting to enable feedback and learning?
– How do organizations adapt to a radically new framework such as agile?
– How can Trello be used as an Agile project management tool?
– Can scrum do the same for globally distributed teams?
– How do we deal with change when it happens?
– How familiar are we with Agile project management?
– Agile Management an oxymoron?
– What is Project Management?
– Needs project management?
– What is scrum?
Project management software Critical Criteria:
Rank Project management software quality and proactively manage Project management software risks.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Project Management Office PMO experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What are the barriers to increased Project Management Office PMO production?
– How is the value delivered by Project Management Office PMO being measured?
Project stakeholders Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Project stakeholders strategies and find out what it really means.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Project Management Office PMO, including any consulting or professional services?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Project Management Office PMO leaders?
Project triangle Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Project triangle issues and secure Project triangle creativity.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Project Management Office PMO?
– How can skill-level changes improve Project Management Office PMO?
Schedule Critical Criteria:
Adapt Schedule visions and raise human resource and employment practices for Schedule.
– The pp and the semp define the tasks and schedule for the project and the processes that will be followed to produce the deliverables. once the project is underway, how can you track progress against the plan?
– Does the tool in use have the ability to integrate with Active Directory or sync directory on a scheduled basis, or do look-ups within a multi-domain forest in the sub-100-millisecond range?
– Are items returned for calibration as scheduled and/or when found to have broken calibration seals, damaged, or malfunctioning?
– Budget and Schedule: What are the estimated costs and schedules for performing risk-related activities?
– Is there a schedule for required password updates from default vendor or manufacturer passwords?
– Are any problems that cause schedule slips identified as risks prior to their occurrence?
– What is the project time schedule for developing and launching the product?
– What is a formalized approach for developing a project schedule?
– Is there an impact to schedule performance and to what level?
– Optimising schedules in terms of memory port and ALU uses ?
– Has the time for updating the information been scheduled?
– What is the schedule and budget for data collection?
– Are we constrained by a predefined schedule?
– Cost / schedule impact analysis required?
– How important is the original schedule?
– Is the schedule too aggressive?
– Do you keep 50% of your time unscheduled?
Strategic project management Critical Criteria:
Gauge Strategic project management quality and look at it backwards.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Project Management Office PMO does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Project Management Office PMO project manager?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Project Management Office PMO Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Project management office External links:
DET Project Management Office
Project Management Office (PMO) | Research …
Project Tools | Project Management Office
Company External links:
American Title Company – Official Site
Document management system External links:
SKYSITE – Document Management System Software for …
Casnet – Document Management System & Scanning …
Documentation External links:
TIBCO Product Documentation
State Boat Titling vs Vessel Documentation | …
Vessel Documentation Online LLC | US Coast Guard …
Estimation External links:
Estimation Synonyms, Estimation Antonyms | …
Individual – Estimation Calculators
Honda Generators – Wattage estimation guide
Executive sponsor External links:
What is executive sponsor? – Definition from WhatIs.com
What is Executive Sponsor | IGI Global
How to Be an Effective Executive Sponsor
PRINCE2 External links:
PRINCE2 2017, PRINCE2 Training, PRINCE2 Courses, …
Performance metric External links:
[PDF]AbstractID: 1651 Title: A Performance Metric for …
performance metric – Wiktionary
performance metrics – Wiktionary
Program management External links:
DoN Consolidated Card Program Management Division
Project Management Institute External links:
PMI-Project Management Institute
CCRS | Project Management Institute
PMI – Project Management Institute :: Pearson VUE
Project Portfolio Management External links:
Eclipse Project Portfolio Management – Login
Project Portfolio Management Software | Deltek PPM
Primavera Enterprise Project Portfolio Management …
Project management External links:
LearnSmart IT & Project Management Online Training …
Project management software External links:
Construction Project Management Software | BuildingBlok
Project management software, online collaboration: Basecamp
Synchro – Construction project management software …
Project stakeholders External links:
How to Communicate With Project Stakeholders: 5 Steps
Project triangle External links:
What is Project Triangle? – Task management guide
Schedule External links:
NFL 2017 Regular Season Week 16 Schedule – NFL.com
New York Knicks – Schedule
ABC TV Show Schedule – ABC.com
Strategic project management External links:
Stakeholder Alignment and Strategic Project Management
Strategic Project Management: 7 Ways To Boost The …