What is involved in Product Data Management
Find out what the related areas are that Product Data Management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Product Data Management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Product Data Management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Product Data Management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Product Data Management related domains to cover and 127 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Product Data Management, Change management, Computer-aided design, Configuration management, End-of-life, Engineering change notice, Engineering change order, Enterprise resource planning, International Standard Book Number, Metadata, New product introduction, Product, Product lifecycle management, Version control:
Product Data Management Critical Criteria:
Analyze Product Data Management management and describe which business rules are needed as Product Data Management interface.
– Assignment completeness are all parameters assigned and are all elements considered?
– What is the format of the information and what form does it need to be stored in?
– Can product data be used as an aid in the creation and maintenance of PLCS data?
– Property availability is the assigned external property available?
– Who will need to view documents (sales & production)?
– Version check is the correct file version available?
– Which system should receive the Change Notification?
– Version check are the correct versions available?
– What system, if any, provides document numbers?
– What is the configuration of the information?
– How frequently do we need to access the data?
– What products do you want me to support?
– What information should we archive?
– What are the benefits of using PDM?
– How should the association be made?
– How accurate is your product data?
– Who will work with PDM systems?
– Is PDM a good fit?
– What is it?
Change management Critical Criteria:
Analyze Change management strategies and explain and analyze the challenges of Change management.
– Workforce Change Management How do you prepare your workforce for changing capability and capacity needs? How do you manage your workforce, its needs, and your needs to ensure continuity, prevent workforce reductions, and minimize the impact of workforce reductions, if they do become necessary? How do you prepare for and manage periods of workforce growth?
– Troubleshooting – are problems related to what is actually changing (the change), to the management of tasks and resources to make the change happen (project management) or to issues relating to employee engagement, buy-in and resistance (Change Management)?
– Business Change and Training Manager responsibilities include Planning, coordinating and implementing an Organizational Change Management Plan?
– Have all the major Change Management issues associated with the preferred alternative been identified and discussed?
– Do you have formalized processes for organizational change management within your organization?
– Does your organization have a preferred organizational change management methodology?
– Are CSI and organizational change underpinned by Kotters change management best practices?
– How effective is your organization with organizational change management?
– In what scenarios should change management systems be introduced?
– What are common barriers to using Change Management in practice?
– What are the primary barriers to effective Change Management?
– What is the latest success strategy in change management?
– Who are the leaders in a Change Management process?
– How would one define Product Data Management leadership?
– What is workplace Change Management?
– What is Change Management?
Computer-aided design Critical Criteria:
Start Computer-aided design results and don’t overlook the obvious.
– For your Product Data Management project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Product Data Management?
– What are current Product Data Management Paradigms?
Configuration management Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Configuration management quality and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Monitoring tools for wired networks do not provide the full array of features necessary for monitoring wlans. true or false?
– A virtual local area network (vlan) is a physical grouping of network devices within a larger network. true or false?
– Have all mechanisms that can lead to temporary or permanent changes in the design requirements been identified?
– Does the configuration described in the design document match the physical configuration of the software?
– Which processes other than incident management are involved in achieving a structural solution ?
– What do you do when you find a build error in some other code that is related to your changes?
– Can we answer questions like: Are compliance and audit checks performed on a regular basis?
– Have the basis for the design requirements been established documented and maintained?
– Has a post-implementation assessment of your CM Program been conducted?
– Which is the correct combination of concepts and itil processes?
– Are the relationships between configuration items established?
– If the change does involve a usq, has it been approved by doe?
– What are some of the software Configuration Management tools?
– Have specific documents been identified for each SSC?
– How is mobile wimax different from fixed wimax?
– Do design documents match inventory reports?
– How and when will baselines be defined?
– How and when will audits be performed?
– What kind of reports will be prepared?
– Other reviews to be performed?
End-of-life Critical Criteria:
Design End-of-life visions and test out new things.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Product Data Management values?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Product Data Management study?
– How will you measure your Product Data Management effectiveness?
Engineering change notice Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Engineering change notice risks and tour deciding if Engineering change notice progress is made.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Product Data Management process?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Product Data Management?
– Do we have past Product Data Management Successes?
Engineering change order Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Engineering change order governance and sort Engineering change order activities.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Product Data Management workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– What are the disruptive Product Data Management technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– What are the barriers to increased Product Data Management production?
Enterprise resource planning Critical Criteria:
Reason over Enterprise resource planning adoptions and develop and take control of the Enterprise resource planning initiative.
– How likely is the current Product Data Management plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Is the Product Data Management organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– How to Secure Product Data Management?
International Standard Book Number Critical Criteria:
Substantiate International Standard Book Number management and interpret which customers can’t participate in International Standard Book Number because they lack skills.
– How important is Product Data Management to the user organizations mission?
– What are all of our Product Data Management domains and what do they do?
Metadata Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Metadata results and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Metadata information.
– Who will do the classification (IAs, users, both etc.) Deliverables could be: approach for developing classification, controlled vocabularies, thesaurus, taxonomies, classification models including targeted audience descriptions; will there be any use of autocategorization or autosuggesting metadata?
– Is there an organization-wide metadata standard, such as an extension of the dublin core, for use by search tools, multiple repositories, etc.?
– What metadata/documentation will be submitted alongside the data or created on deposit/ transformation in order to make the data reusable?
– do not forget to look at the data itself. how can you affect the amount of, quality of, or protection of data and metadata?
– Describe the type of data (e.g. digital, non-digital) and how they will be generated? Are these primary or metadata?
– Is the accountability clearly established for the accuracy and consistency and timeliness of metadata?
– How can you affect the amount of, quality of, or protection of data and metadata?
– Does the Product Data Management task fit the clients priorities?
– How to use faceted metadata to expand (as opposed to refine)?
– How will the metadata be associated with the data?
– Who is responsible for updating the metadata?
– Has autosuggesting metadata been considered?
– Which metadata standards will you use?
– Is the metadata cache size acceptable?
– What is data, what is metadata?
– Can metadata be loaded?
New product introduction Critical Criteria:
Administer New product introduction failures and remodel and develop an effective New product introduction strategy.
– Consider your own Product Data Management project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Product Data Management is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
Product Critical Criteria:
Chat re Product projects and give examples utilizing a core of simple Product skills.
– Spheres of influerce in the consumers life. what people, activities, organizations and media can have the most effect on determining the target audiences receptivity to products?
– Another consideration in developing an imc program is the nature of your product or service. is it over-the-counter (condoms) or ethical (oral contraceptives/ocs)?
– How can we truly understand and predict our customers needs to the point where we can design products and services that suit their needs?
– How does the company manage the design and delivery of products and services that promise a high level of customer satisfaction?
– Old product plus new technology leads to new regulatory concerns which could be added burden, how to do you deal with that?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Product Data Management delivery for example is new software needed?
– Can research really be relegated to a series of steps that when performed in sequence result in a new product?
– How could a new product or service be developed in this century without Agile Project Management?
– Can low gross margin % products be improved by price increases or cost reductions?
– What evidence is there that your strategy will be successful in the future?
– Why should we use or invest in a Master Data Management product?
– What are your guidelines for managing counter-party risk?
– How much would it cost to remove from the market?
– What are the different types of test markets?
– What is your products direction?
– Who is using PDM?
– When to retrofit?
– To brand or not to brand?
Product lifecycle management Critical Criteria:
Categorize Product lifecycle management failures and document what potential Product lifecycle management megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– How do we know that any Product Data Management analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– What about Product Data Management Analysis of results?
Version control Critical Criteria:
Explore Version control tactics and handle a jump-start course to Version control.
– How can you experiment with a complex change and benefit from the version control system without making the change public?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Product Data Management effort?
– Will you be using a standard naming format and version control?
– How do we improve the way that we use version control?
– What goes under version control?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Product Data Management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Product Data Management External links:
Product Data Management for Diverse Customer Verticals
ECBC Product Data Management System Account Request
Product Data Management | PDM | Epicor
Change management External links:
CDT Releases Organizational Change Management and …
What is change management? – Definition from WhatIs.com
DCCA Change Management
Computer-aided design External links:
Computer-Aided Design – Journal – Elsevier
Computer-aided Design (1976) – IMDb
Configuration management External links:
Configuration Management | IpX
Interactive Configuration Management and Procurement …
Configuration Management Certification & Training …
End-of-life External links:
Crossroads Hospice: End-of-Life Family Care Services
What Is Comfort Care for End-of-Life Patients?
Engineering change notice External links:
[PDF]Engineering Change Notice process white-paper.
Job Information: Engineering Change Notice (ECN) Analyst …
[PDF]STAR Engineering Change Notice QA Category ECN
Engineering change order External links:
Eco Engineering Change Order Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Engineering Change Order | ECO Software | IQMS
ENGINEERING CHANGE ORDER | eQuorum Corporation
Enterprise resource planning External links:
Enterprise Resource Planning
MDConnect | Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system
Enterprise Resource Planning System | Hill International
International Standard Book Number External links:
International Standard Book Number – Quora
[PDF]International Standard Book Number: 0-942920-53-8
What is an ISBN (International Standard Book Number)?
Metadata External links:
[PDF]GIS Metadata Title: Protection Districts
Title metadata – WiiBrew
3 key tips to adding in your site’s metadata | Yola
New product introduction External links:
[PDF]Title New product introduction with costly search …
What Is New Product Introduction? : Valuestreamguru
HIV New Product Introduction Toolkit
Product External links:
Product return and recycling | HP® Official Site
Rheem Product Warranty Information
The Melaleuca Product Store
Product lifecycle management External links:
Agile Product Lifecycle Management
CMPROficiency | Product Lifecycle Management Software
CMPRO Product Lifecycle Management Software by PSA Inc.
Version control External links:
Git and TFVC version control | Microsoft Docs
List history on branch | Version Control Systems | …
VisualSVN – Subversion-based version control for Windows