What is involved in Master data
Find out what the related areas are that Master data connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Master data thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Master Data Management MDM journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Master Data Management MDM leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Master data related domains to cover and 80 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Master data, Customer data integration, Data governance, Dynamic data, Hierarchical database model, Information Technology, Master Data Management, Master Tape, Metadata, Original data, Product information management, Unstructured data:
Master data Critical Criteria:
Own Master data decisions and work towards be a leading Master data expert.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Master data processes?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Master data that make it risky?
– What are some of the master data management architecture patterns?
– Why should we use or invest in a Master Data Management product?
– How do most enterprises manage hierarchical master data today?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Master data?
– What is hierarchical master data?
– What Is Master Data Management?
– What is Master Data?
Customer data integration Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Customer data integration adoptions and adjust implementation of Customer data integration.
– Does Master data systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– How can skill-level changes improve Master data?
Data governance Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Data governance leadership and raise human resource and employment practices for Data governance.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Master data in a volatile global economy?
– Are tools only acquired after requirements have been analyzed, or are major purchases sometimes made to use up year-end money?
– Can your confidential data in documents be safeguarded while still enabling the necessary business data to be shared?
– What technical specifications should we build into our infrastructure to produce quality data?
– What are your data governance communications challenges and how do you overcome them?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– What process should be implemented to review and approve requests for information?
– Backup considerations how often. how does it get refreshed when there is a crash?
– The front-ends are dependent on data. how is that data governed?
– what is the difference between data governance and it governance?
– Does the Master data task fit the clients priorities?
– What happens to projects after they are completed?
– What will your data governance program focus on?
– Should the data be made readily available?
– Who owns the data that is collected?
– Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
– Why is data governance needed?
– Existing data connections?
– How to build a taxonomy?
– Who is responsible ?
Dynamic data Critical Criteria:
Learn from Dynamic data quality and find answers.
– In what ways are Master data vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Who sets the Master data standards?
– How do we go about Securing Master data?
Hierarchical database model Critical Criteria:
Investigate Hierarchical database model management and devise Hierarchical database model key steps.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Master data into the services that we provide?
– Are there Master data problems defined?
Information Technology Critical Criteria:
Think about Information Technology visions and stake your claim.
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Master data goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– What are our needs in relation to Master data skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Master Data Management Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Master Data Management risks and describe which business rules are needed as Master Data Management interface.
– what is the best design framework for Master data organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Master data. How do we gain traction?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Master data been identified and analyzed?
Master Tape Critical Criteria:
Boost Master Tape goals and finalize specific methods for Master Tape acceptance.
– What is the source of the strategies for Master data strengthening and reform?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Master data ?
– What are internal and external Master data relations?
Metadata Critical Criteria:
Start Metadata adoptions and overcome Metadata skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What metadata/documentation will be submitted alongside the data or created on deposit/ transformation in order to make the data reusable?
– do not forget to look at the data itself. how can you affect the amount of, quality of, or protection of data and metadata?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Master data, including any consulting or professional services?
– Is the accountability clearly established for the accuracy and consistency and timeliness of metadata?
– What data does the provider collect -e.g., metadata, and how can this data be secured?
– How can you affect the amount of, quality of, or protection of data and metadata?
– How will metadata be generated (automatically, manually, or both)?
– Can the ceo explain the roi for search and metadata?
– Has autosuggesting metadata been considered?
– Metadata; is there a metadata strategy?
– Is the metadata cache size acceptable?
– What metadata standard will be used?
– What form will the metadata take?
– Is there a metadata strategy?
– How/who will create metadata?
– Can metadata be loaded?
Original data Critical Criteria:
Sort Original data decisions and improve Original data service perception.
– Does the original data collector/ creator/ principal owner retain the right to use the data before opening it up to wider use?
– Is data that is transcribed or copied checked for errors against the original data set?
– How can you measure Master data in a systematic way?
– Is the scope of Master data defined?
Product information management Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Product information management planning and devote time assessing Product information management and its risk.
– How can you negotiate Master data successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Master data activities?
– How much does Master data help?
Unstructured data Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Unstructured data issues and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Unstructured data.
– In the case of a Master data project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Master data project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Master data project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What tools do you consider particularly important to handle unstructured data expressed in (a) natural language(s)?
– Does your organization have the right tools to handle unstructured data expressed in (a) natural language(s)?
– Do Master data rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– What are the short and long-term Master data goals?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Master Data Management MDM Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Master data External links:
Our Master Data Products – D&B – Dun & Bradstreet
Best Master Data Management (MDM) Software in 2018 | G2 …
SAP MM – Master Data – tutorialspoint.com
Customer data integration External links:
Customer Data Integration | CDI | MuleSoft
Data Processing & Customer Data Integration (CDI) | Merkle
Customer Data Integration – Just another Tamr Inc. Sites site
Data governance External links:
Dataguise | Sensitive Data Governance
Data Governance Jobs | Glassdoor
Data Governance Analyst Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Dynamic data External links:
Fathom: Dynamic Data Software
Hierarchical database model External links:
Hierarchical database model – YouTube
The Hierarchical Database Model – Burleson Oracle Consulting
Information Technology External links:
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Information Technology (IT) Industry & Association | CompTIA
Master Data Management External links:
Master Data Management | IBM Analytics
Best Master Data Management (MDM) Software in 2018 | G2 …
Master Tape External links:
The Master Tape – Fanlore
Find a Various – The Master Tape first pressing or reissue. Complete your Various collection. Shop Vinyl and CDs.
Various – The Master Tape (Vinyl, LP) at Discogs
Metadata External links:
Title Metadata Guide – IngramSpark
3 key tips to adding in your site’s metadata | Yola
Title metadata – WiiBrew
Original data External links:
The Original Data Company | Consumer Lists, Data …
About | The Original Data Company
Product information management External links:
Best Product Information Management (PIM) Software in …
Product Information Management (PIM) for Ecommerce
inRiver – Product Information Management
Unstructured data External links:
Scale-Out NAS for Unstructured Data | Dell EMC US